IT Help Desk Technician
Eugene, OR 97401
Are you motivated to be a part of an organization with extensive opportunities to learn, grow, and make a difference in a community that cares about you? Are you customer service oriented and speak ITIL? Are you forward looking with process improvement in mind? As a true techie, do you love the thrill of new and interesting challenges? Do you enjoy being part of a team of like minded professionals who love using technology to solve problems? If you answered yes to these questions, then our team might be the right fit for you.
Quantum Recruiters is seeking a full-time, temporary Help Desk Technician in the Information Services Division (ISD) at the City of Eugene. This position has an anticipated duration of approximately 6-12 months. The team is committed to the customers and serve as technical experts; helping users troubleshoot issues and solve problems with computers, data and equipment. This group provides competent, knowledgeable, relationship-based customer service. We are a team committed to innovation and excellence built on a solid foundation of providing excellent customer service.
The scope of ISD operations includes:
• Award-winning technology and services
• Customers who are appreciative, collaborative, and engaging
• 51 facilities throughout the community connected by high-speed fiber optic network
• More than 200 business software systems
• More than 2 million visits to the website per year
As part of the dynamic Service Desk team, you will serve as the face of ISD, and the voice of customers as you proactively work to diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve customer requests, incidents and problems within an ITIL framework. The successful candidates for these positions will have a proven track record delivering high quality customer service, a passion for supporting and troubleshooting technology solutions in a Windows based environment. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for learning, innovation and continual process improvement.
The following is a description of the core professional competencies of the position.
The PC Network Technicians provide quality, comprehensive customer service to staff, ensuring that needs are met and that problems are solved. Research and resolve complaints and problems in a timely manner, and process work tickets to ensure that proper documentation is in place. Go the extra mile to ensure that problems are resolved and customer satisfaction is high. Acts as primary support technicians to provide advice and gather information. They assist customers by working on the Service desk and work independently out in the field. Configures, installs and upgrades operating systems, software, and equipment; Troubleshoots problems with computer systems, including hardware and software, e- mail, network and peripheral equipment (printers, scanners, etc.) Makes repairs and corrections as required. Installs and arranges network hub/switch rack and cabling patch panels; installs, configures, and maintains network hubs/switches. PC Network technicians act as technical experts in assisting users in troubleshooting issues and resolving problems with computers, data, and equipment.
Examples of Duties Performed - Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Configures, installs, and upgrades operating systems, software, and equipment; troubleshoot problems with computer systems, including hardware and software, e-mail, network and peripheral equipment; makes repairs and corrections as required.
• Acts as technical expert in assisting users in troubleshooting issues and resolving problems with computers, data and equipment; provides strong customer service to staff; researches and resolves complaints and problems in a timely manner; staffs a centralized help desk and acts as primary support technician to provide advice and gather information.
• Maintains automated work records and files using current applications (such as Service Management Ticketing systems); creates and maintains records and files; prepares clear and concise records, reports and correspondences.
• Completes special projects as assigned. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required by management to meet the needs of the department.
• Attends department meetings; functions as liaison with other departments, divisions, and assists with computer training / outreach.
• Actively supports and respects diversity in the workplace and helps create a supportive workplace for all employees.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required by management to meet the needs of the department.
• ITIL Service Management processes and procedures, including Incident, Request, and Problem resolution
• Customer service best practices, including active listening.
• Familiarity with Windows Based networks, including Active Directory
• Principles and procedures of PC, printer, and network installation, operation, and maintenance.
• Hazards and safety precautions involving computer equipment and Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) repair work.
• Integration of diverse network components such as: Ethernet, fiber connections, switches, bridges, specialty devices, PCs, and printers.
• Familiarity with diagnosing and resolving issues related to malware, viruses and phishing attempts
• Familiarity with desktop and server management tools such as SCCM, OMS/SCOM and PRTG monitoring
• Diagnosing and repairing computers, networks, and related equipment using a variety of power and manual tools, equipment standard to computer equipment repair, electronic diagnostic tools, software diagnostic utilities, and network diagnostic equipment.
• Configure, install, and establish network connections for PCs including installing and testing electronic components of PCs, loading software, and configuring hard drives both manually and using automation tools such as SCCM.
• Install and manage IP Telephony phones and systems.
• Configure equipment within a network environment.
• Troubleshoot LAN-based PCs and laptop computers; resolve problems within an environment of multiple operating systems, protocols, software applications, and hardware components.
• Resolve software issues such as memory management, reconciliation of firmware settings, and custom configurations.
• Assist systems programmers in isolating and resolving network problems. Stay current with newest technology.
• Maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
• Establish effective working relationships with employees and contractors.
• Perform repetitive motions such as bending, twisting, and reaching in awkward positions.
• Effectively and proactively manage your own workload, including setting reasonable timelines with customers, coworkers and peers
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8a-5pm, 7a-4pm or 10a-7pm. Schedules are based on business need and filled based on seniority.
Must Pass Police Background Check
Experience: Two years of recent experience in the maintenance and repair of computers and related peripherals, and installing software. One year of service desk preferred.
Education: High school diploma or GED. Two year computer repair training / degree desirable. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
License or Certificate : Valid Oregon driver's license, or ability to obtain by date of hire; must pass driving records check and, if hired, maintain a driving record that meets the City's standard. Oregon law requires that an out-of-state license holder must obtain a valid Oregon license (with appropriate endorsements) within 30 days of becoming domiciled in the state (ORS 803.355). Must have or be able to obtain a Microsoft service desk support certificate.
Please submit a current resume for immediate consideration. All inquiries are kept strictly confidential.