City of Eugene - Wetland Field Assistant
270 Oakway Center Eugene, OR 97401 US
2023 WETLAND FIELD ASSISTANT – SEASONAL POSITION
City of Eugene, Parks and Open Space, Wetland Mitigation Bank 2 positions available
Posted: March 3, 2023 Open until filled. Application review begins 9 am March 21, 2023
Pay rate: $17.00 - $19.00 per hour, DOE
Work period: Early May through August, with potential for extended dates depending on work needs. If you are interested, but have limited availability, please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
Statement of Duties
Wetland Field Assistants will work in Eugene’s mitigation bank program to control invasive and non- native vegetation to facilitate the establishment or maintenance of diverse Willamette Valley wetland prairie plant communities. Field Assistants will primarily work as a pair to identify and map occurrences of undesirable plant species, remove them by hand or with handheld tools or lightweight powered equipment, and record control actions. Additional duties similar in nature may be assigned.
- Possession of a valid driver's license, or ability to obtain by date of hire; must pass driving records check and maintain a driving record that meets the City's standards.
- Available to work a regular schedule of 40 hours per week, Monday-
- Ability to read and interpret maps and navigate using mobile
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with other employees, contractors, and the public.
- Knowledge of and adherence to safety principles relevant to outdoor physical work, including ability to identify typical hazards and respond accordingly with training provided by the City of Eugene.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work outdoors in varying weather conditions and conduct duties in inclement weather, sometimes in uncomfortable conditions.
- Ability to work in a bent-over/kneeling/sitting position for long periods of time and walk/hike up to a few miles over uneven terrain lacking trails or roads.
- Ability to work independently, follow oral and written instructions, and keep detailed
- Must be at least 18 years old, pass pre-employment screening at Quantum Recruiters, including physical and drug screening.
- Familiarity with Willamette Valley prairie habitats and basic concepts of invasive species
- Identification of common native and non-native species or demonstrated aptitude for plant
- Ability to survey and assess vegetation conditions and collect field data to map invasive species with a mobile device on sites up to 300 acres in size.
- Experience with best practices of invasive species removal, and ability to use manual or power tools for the removal of invasive species.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job will be considered. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes with relevant transferrable skills from a variety of sources and experiences. We will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Learn more about Eugene’s park system: www.eugene-or.gov/parks
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume that describe your qualifications.
For other questions, contact Paul Gordon at PGordon@eugene-or.gov.