Senior Application Support Technician
Eugene, OR 97401
At Quantum Recruiters we focus intently on providing talent to leading employers throughout the Pacific Northwest. We are proud to partner with the City of Eugene to fill a Senior Application Support Technician role. This position performs complex technical support to the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.
As the Senior Application Support Technician, you will review hardware and software needs, perform software license administration, create forms, views, and reports from various databases, and serve as a liaison with vendors, Information Services Division, and/or the Regional Information System.
- Utilizes a variety of programming tools or personal computer software to create and manipulate data files and automate standard work routines and products.
- Creates reports, queries, utility programs, and linkages between programs involving multiple data platforms.
- Uses database development tools to create, modify, and adapt personal computer applications by developing and modifying screen displays, data fields, queries, and reports to meet department needs.
- Works with City staff to assure adequate file backup and easy recovery of files.
- Provides staff support for automated systems; works with users to clarify and assess computing needs of the work area; solves specific problems.
- Serves as a liaison between users and vendors; researches vendors and available applications; assists in developing bid specifications; may participate in application development teams and assist in project management and vendor contract management.
- Participates in the installation and implementation of purchased systems; evaluates systems and databases in relation to specific user requests; assists with evaluating hardware and software; may test products to determine if performance meets stated specifications.
- Coordinates with department staff, Information Services Division, and vendors communicating issues related to database design, storage, performance, backup, recovery, and upgrades.
- Designs and/or assists with the design and production of system documentation; develops system usage procedures; instructs other staff in local area network of desktop computer and peripheral practices and procedures.
- Tracks program area problems; monitors system performance for efficiency and effectiveness; recommends policy or procedural changes in assigned program area; works with vendors, City staff, or outside agencies to optimize system performance.
- May administer City-wide security system(s), assign and secure levels of access to data on server and/or local area network, and track linkages between various security components.
- May coordinate with other departments regarding job execution, job scheduling, hardware problems, and security issues; answers a variety of complex computer related questions from staff.
- May develop structure and functionality for web pages; coordinates with department and Information Services staff to ensure needs are met and web practices are consistent with City standards.
- Keeps up-to-date on technology and software, as it pertains to program area(s).
- Actively supports and respects diversity in the workplace.
- Principles of system administration, operations, and utilities applicable to personal computers, and local area networks.
- Understand basic principles and techniques of computer programming and relational database structure as required by specific programs and systems.
- Use scripting software and reporting tools.
- Data processing security systems and concepts.
- Application security, data organization, and file integrity methods and procedures.
- Data processing, organization and management, and records storage and handling techniques.
- Computer data organization and file integrity control.
- Principles and techniques of technology training.
- Principles and processes for providing customer services including needs assessments, meeting quality standards for services and evaluating customer satisfaction.
- Perform initial evaluation of changes and/or enhancements to systems.
- Create reports, queries, and/or views using SQL and MS Access.
- Enforce standards and procedures in area of assignment and develop methods for record keeping.
- Learn and understand business functions and procedures.
- Communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Perform initial troubleshooting to identify program application problems, and isolate hardware versus software problems.
- Assess and translate user business needs into technical specifications to modify applications.
- Provide technical assistance and coach others in the most effective use of computer hardware and software.
- Perform software license administration for Autodesk and ESRI software products.
- Use relational databases.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with technical and non-technical people
Experience and Training Guidelines - Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
Three years of experience in computer systems and software. Including experience with Autodesk, HTML, Web Design, REST Services, ArcGIS, and Python.
Two-year technical degree from an accredited college or school in a computer systems field.
License or Certificate:
A valid Oregon driver's license or, the ability to obtain by date of hire; must pass driving records check and, if hired, maintain a driving record that meets the City's standard. Oregon law requires that an out-of-state license holder must obtain a valid Oregon license (with appropriate endorsements) within 30 days of becoming domiciled in the state (ORS 803.355).
Please submit resume for immediate consideration. All inquiries kept strictly confidential.
Quantum Recruiters is committed to Affirmative Action and values diversity in its workforce.